Minutes, Truman State University Chapter of AAUP
April 4, 2002, 8:00 a.m.
Washington St. Java Co.
Meetings are open to all University faculty members. This was the last
meeting of this academic year.
Members present: Martha Bartter, Marc Becker, David Gruber, James Harmon,
Judi Misale, Jan Saffir.
1) Town meeting. We have decided to cancel the town meeting scheduled for
Wednesday, April 10. We have scheduled 2 town meetings for next fall on
September 24 and November 13, tentatively scheduled in the Governors’ Room. The
town meetings will be moderated open forums. Please come and encourage other
people to attend as well.
2) Magruder Hall Brick Campaign. AAUP has collected $250 to purchase a brick
for the Magruder Hall Brick Campaign. The brick will read “Truman AAUP
Academic Freedom for a Free Society.” We will hold a ceremony formally
presenting the University with a check for the brick.
3) University Survey. Judi will wait until Monday for the final surveys to
come trickling in, and then we will enter the raw data into a spreadsheet,
analyze the data, and post the results to the AAUP web page (http://aaup.truman.edu).
4) Campus planning. Martha noted that it would be nice to have advance notice
of plans for fences and construction on campus. This is particularly important
when we lose handicap parking spaces.
5) Meeting time and place next year. During the fall semester, we will try to
meet in the University Club on the first Friday of every month from 4:30 – 6:00
p.m. The scheduled dates are September 6, October 4, November 1, and December 6.
6) Officers. Our proposed slate of officers continues that what we have this
year (Jan Saffir, president; Jan Grow, vice-president; and James Harmon,
treasurer). Marc Becker will be in Ecuador on a Fulbright research fellowship
next year, and so we need to find a new secretary. We will confirm these
officers at our first meeting in the fall.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, Secretary