Minutes, Truman State University Chapter of AAUP
February 14, 2002, 8:00 a.m.
Washington St. Java Co.
Meetings are open to all University faculty members.
Members present: Martha Bartter, Marc Becker, Jay Belanger, Stephanie Fore,
David Gruber, James Harmon, Kathryn Kuhlman, Judi Misale, Jan Saffir.
1) Magruder Hall Brick Campaign. We have decided to purchase a brick for the
Magruder Hall Brick Campaign. The brick will read “Truman AAUP Academic
Freedom for a Free Society.” Individuals should send donations for the
brick to James Harmon.
2) Town meeting. Our next town meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, February 19,
in VH 1000 from 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. The topic is “Health and Prospects of
Governance at Truman.” The town meeting will be a moderated open forum
focused on how we might continue to improve our reflective decision making as an
academic community. The final fifteen minutes will include opportunities for new
topics and concerns. Please come and encourage other people to attend as well.
3) University policies. We discussed problems with the consistent application
of policies across campus. For example, tenure review committees seem to be
handled differently in the various divisions.
4) April town meeting. We will hold a town meeting on Wednesday, April, 10,
from 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. in VH 1000. Possible topics for this town meeting include
a discussion of the LSP core or teaching and evaluation at Truman.
5) Sick leave. We discussed the recent advice that faculty should take a
couple of sick days so that we dont lose accumulated leave time at the point
of retirement. This again raised questions of inconsistencies in the application
and communication of policies.
6) Womens forum. The next womens forum will discuss family leave
policy. For more information, contact Stephanie Fore (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jan
The next meeting of the Truman State University chapter of the AAUP meeting
is Thursday, March 7, at 8 a.m. at the Washington St. Java Co. Come at 7:45 to
get a cup of coffee & a bite to eat.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, Secretary