Minutes, Truman State University Chapter of AAUP
January 17, 2002, 8:00 a.m.
Washington St. Java Co.
Meetings are open to all University faculty members.
Members present: Talie Alexander, Martha Bartter, Marc Becker, David Gruber,
James Harmon, Judi Misale, Jan Saffir, Linda Seidel
1) David Gruber proposed passing a resolution through each division and
faculty senate calling for faculty representation on the Board of Governors. The
purpose for this resolution is to lobby the state legislature for such a
position, demonstrating faculty support for this idea.
2) We have two town meetings planned for this spring (Tuesday, February 19
and Wednesday, April 10, from 4:30-6:00 p.m. in VH 1000). These meetings are
designed to provide an opportunity for conversation across divisions. The first
forum will be entitled “Health and Prospects of Governance at Truman.”
We will include 15 minutes at the end to discuss other issues of concern and
topics for future town meetings.
3) Jude Misale reminded us that absentee policy and tenure, promotion, and
evaluation issues are coming up soon and we need to keep our eyes open about
4) There are rumors that the administration will change class times so that
they meet on the hour.
5) Apparently the administration is going through the catalog and deciding on
courses that should be cut. The purpose for this is unclear and whether this is
just happening in one division. If the purpose is to allow for better student
planning, the catalog could note how often a course is normally taught.
6) We discussed bringing up a resolution for faculty senate to conduct a
study next fall into the outcome of the changes to the summer school program.
Meeting adjourned at 9:00 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, Secretary