Minutes, Truman State University Chapter of AAUP
September 25, 2003, 9:00 a.m.
Meetings are open to all University faculty members.
Faculty present: Natalie Alexander, Martha Bartter, Marc Becker, Terry Gabel,
David Gruber, James Harmon, Kathryn Kuhlman, Tom Marshall, David Robinson, Peter
Rolnick, Jan Saffir.
1) We enthusiastically welcomed our new president, David Robinson.
2) Dixon meeting. President Dixon enthusiastically accepted our invitation
for a meeting with her. We will meet on Thursday, October 23 at 11:30 a.m. in
the Spanish Room. David Gruber will bring a copy of a Red Book to present to
3) Faculty Senate restructuring. The Faculty Senate is finalizing language
and procedures for a faculty vote on the restructuring of Faculty Senate. We
need to encourage our colleagues to support this plan.
4) Summer School. We had an extensive discussion about the changes to the
Summer School program. We would like to urge the administration to present a
report on whether these changes have realized their desired administrative and
financial improvements, including the inclusion of specific data on changes in
student enrollments. Such a report may be being prepared for presentation to
governance bodies. We discussed the idea of sponsoring a town meeting to address
these issues, and conducting another evaluation of student Summer School needs.
5) Administrator evaluations. AAUP conducted administrator evaluations until
Faculty Senate began its process. There was discussion about whether the current
practice fulfills the goals of the original AAUP process, whether faculty
concerns are being addressed, and whether faculty are receiving the feedback
that we need. We discussed whether AAUP needs once again to take over this
process, or whether we should request Faculty Senate to be more pro-active in
6) Membership drive. David Gruber provided an update on the membership drive.
Meeting adjourned at 10:15 a.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, Secretary