Minutes, Truman Chapter of AAUP
September 13, 2007, 5:00 pm
Washington Street Java Company
Meetings are open to all faculty members.
Faculty present: Betty McLane-Iles (presiding), Marc Becker, James Harmon, Judi Misale, Steve Reschly, David Robinson, Tom Stewart
1. Minutes of April 13 were approved.
2. 2007-2008 meeting schedule: First Friday of the month from 4:30-6:00 in University Club: October 5, November 2, December 7, February 1, February 29, April 4, May 2 (if needed).
3. Faculty governance. Betty and Diane are convening a committee for making recommendations on faculty governance on behalf of the TSU chapter of AAUP to present to faculty senate.
4. State and national report. David is Vice President and Conference Service Director of the Missouri Conference of the AAUP. David will attend and communicate discussions from the Missouri Association of Faculty Senates (MAFS). In April, David testified at the Missouri Senate Education Committee hearing on HB213. His testimony is on the aaup.truman.edu website. We need to watch as more of these bills make their way through and out of committee. We need to make AAUP statements about items such as who has the qualifications to teach at the university level (the governor signed into law a bill that equates 8 years of legislative experience as equivalent to a PhD for purposes of a university teaching position). Mizzou is thinking of organizing a union. State Supreme Court has ruled that public employees have the right to collective bargaining.
5. Footnotes. Betty drafted a letter to distribute with the Fall AAUP Footnotes that should arrive soon. We will try to publish a newsletter later in the semester.
The chapter meeting was adjourned 6:30 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, chapter secretary