Meeting of the Truman State University Chapter of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP)
February 21, 2017, 4:30-5:30 PM, in MG1098
Present: Marc Rice (president), Marc Becker (secretary), Sergio Escobar, Masahiro Hara, David Partenheimer
- How to motivate support in Jeff City for education funding?
- Remaining questions of how the search was run. Why did we do a secret search, and then higher an internal candidate? What does this mean for faculty governance?
- How to address issue that president receives a $30,000 raise over Paino’s salary while students are charged a $50 fee:
- We could confront Board of Governors over lack of fairness, but that could blow up in our face. If we insult the president, the BOG would dismiss us or rally against us. It would be better to promote good will.
- We could use this issue to press for faculty raise: if president receives a raise, shouldn’t the faculty as well?
- Write a letter…
- We will invite Sue Thomas to our next AAUP meeting (March 21) to present the AAUP Redbook and discuss issues of common interest. If March 21 does not work, we will ask for a meeting time that works.