Minutes, Truman State University Chapter of AAUP
September 10, 2004, 3:30 p.m.
Meetings are open to all University faculty members.
Faculty present: David Robinson (presiding), Martha Bartter, Marc Becker, Roger
Festa, James Harmon, Wolfgang Hoeschele, Tom Marshall, Judi Misale, Steve
Reschly, Peter Rolnick, Jan Saffir
1) New officers: David Robinson, President; Judi Misale, Vice-President; James
Harmon, Treasurer; Marc Becker, Secretary; Tom Marshall and Roger Festa, at
2) Meeting schedule: First Friday of every month at 4:30 p.m. (Oct 1, Nov 5, Dec
3, Feb 4, March 4, April 1, May 6)
3) David Robinson is writing a report on our 2003-2004 activities for the
Missouri AAUP state newsletter. We will post this article to our web page
4) The Truman administration has indicated its intentions to move to a system of
reliance on permanent contingent non-tenure-track faculty appointments. AAUP is
concerned about the negative impact that this two-tier system would have on
Truman’s liberal arts culture, academic freedom, collegiality, and the quality
of education we provide to our students. We need to be in a dialogue about these
procedures, and may organize a town meeting on this topic this fall.
5) We discussed administering the state of the university survey this semester.
Please bring any suggestions for topics to be assessed at the next meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by Marc Becker, Secretary