Truman State University AAUP Chapter Meeting
Anton Daughters, Christine Harker, Yuna Ferguson, David Robinson, Taner Edis, Enrique Pareja, Joshua Nudell, Meg Edwards, Erin Joyce, Carlo Annelli, Marc Becker, Andy Kaufmann, Mateo Tornatore, Stephanie Russell, Stacy Davis
- Oct 29 minutes approved https://aaup.truman.edu/minutes/october-2021-minutes/
- University reorganization
- Christine gave a summary of the conversation w the Provost
Extended conversation ensued about the impact of program merging on program autonomy, effective scheduling, understanding of program culture; there was considerable disparity in levels of concern among the meeting attendees. if this is budget-driven, then can we include administrative layers/salaries in the conversation? Stephanie noted that losing program-specific chairs could impact majors retention. Anton noted the reduced service obligations, etc
Christine will craft a draft chapter statement to the effect that any such changes would have curricular impact and therefore that faculty should be engaged in any such deliberations in a transparent and deliberate fashion. To stress that faculty participation in the process is critical.
- Support for pay raise for staff and students: That Labourers’ Local 955 is organizing a rally for improved pay on Saturday. See https://www.facebook.com/events/620245265793863
Proposed: that the AAUP Chapter of TSU formally endorses Laborer’s Union Local 955 actions in pursuit of fair wages for all employees; Marc will send this statement of support to the Local 955.
- Faculty compensation, including summer pay. See summer salary redress
- Updates on
- Changes to Chapter 6 language in the Board of Governors policy (see https://aaup.truman.edu/news/chapter-6/)
- Parental leave policy (see https://aaup.truman.edu/family-and-medical-leave/)
Meg mentioned that this will have significant impacts on attracting new faculty, esp. in RE dwindling childcare options in community.
- Vaccination mandate and masks
No immediate risk of removal of the campus mask mandate
meeting adjourned at 5:29; minutes respectfully submitted by christine harker